Important Over Urgent



Since taking on new jobs recently, I have been working under deadlines and with that comes a sense of urgency. After all, I'm getting paid and people are waiting for me to do my part so they can do theirs. Both of these cause the work to take precedence. Urgent ... but not important.

Important is holding hands with people you love or hugging those in need of a reassuring touch. Important is choosing to pray with a friend as you talk with her over a cup of tea. Important is prioritizing God's assignments over worldly opportunities. I can't say I've done this well ... but there's time to change.

I woke up just a short moment ago with the intention of getting work done but instead, “Choose what’s important over what’s urgent” played in my mind. I resolved to launch my day with Jesus and Me, the important work I’ve set aside to complete the urgent. God's timing is impeccable and brought me to Day 24, the next prayer I have to write:

"Day 24 – 4:01 am
Hi, Jesus.

Hi.

What’s wrong?

We need to have a serious talk.

I thought all of our talks were serious.

They’re going to another level today.

Oh, man.

You said something yesterday you need to hear yourself now.

What’s that?

“My efforts aren’t going to mean anything if you don’t help yourself.”

Oh?

Are you getting that?! If you don’t take our conversations into your day, how do they matter?
I thought You were happy that I was finally setting aside time to be with you. I’ve made this a priority.
It’s not enough! Without application you are a clay pot with cracks. I am pouring Living Water into you but if you just let it run out, you will still be an empty vessel! What are we doing?

You’re angry?

Yes! Because we’ve got something really good together and you’re blowing it!

Does that mean you’re going to leave me?

It means you’re going to leave me.

I wouldn’t do that.

I hate to tell you, but you do every time you start your day.

<silence>

I never leave you, but you ignore Me. I speak into you and you’re deaf. I offer instruction and you disobey. I have become a third wheel to the serpent.

Don’t say that! I’m not Eve!

No, little sister, but he still speaks, and you are listening.

You are being so mean!

No, I’m correcting. That may not be too popular , but I don’t need you to like me. I need you to remember I love you and listen. The quality of your life requires vigilance, obedience, and action. I’m fighting for you and you don’t even realize you’re in a battle! Put your armor on, man!

I’m sorry, Jesus.

Are you sorry enough to be and do something differently? What’s going on right now, it’s not working! Your faith and free will are at odds and will tear you apart if they don’t come to an agreement. There is so much at stake. It’s the difference between your story having a happy ending or becoming a cautionary tale. Do you want to be a hero or a victim?

I want to be a hero.

Then be one for yourself.

I wish you could just do it for me.

You’re my friend…not my puppet.

Okay, Jesus.

Today is a new day, little sister. Let’s walk on water.

I love You, Jesus.

I love you too."

Oh, friends. I will do better in choosing the important over the urgent from now on. Lord, I ask for your prompting if I do otherwise.

What are some important tasks you want to prioritize?









Comments

Popular Posts